Saturday 5 June 2010

Political Betting

Another blog I have linked to. It is, as I understand these things, quite a substantial operation, headed by Mike Smithson and supported by various others.
Clearly, the McGuffin is the making of money by betting on the outcome of political events. In itself, this is of little interest to me, although I admit to having had the odd flutter now and then. What makes it compulsory reading is the wealth of data on the standing of the various political parties and detailed consideration of the factors that might be driving those standings.
This is, in my view, one blog which, although it clearly draws considerably on the reporting of the msm, adds enough analysis and comment of its own to be able to stand out as being head and shoulders above the typical newspaper's coverage. The single minded focus on the betting leaves little room for the fancies that individual papers indulge in, driven as they are by their traditional party leanings.
One (minor) quibble is that the sheer volume of comment on every post makes for dull reading and there is clear dominance by a few hard core followers, of whom one can one only wonder what they do all day (and I think I'm bad!). It also, for me at any rate, makes adding comments of one's own a fairly pointless exercise. Still, a minor quibble and not one to lead one to any conclusion other than this being one of the very best blogs around.

No comments:

Post a Comment